We're working with a Global Banking Organisation who are looking for a Scrum Master to join their global Delivery team! In this role you will assist the business who are going through a transformation from a traditional waterfall company to a more agile delivery. They are at the stage where we have plenty of work and we have identified some streams to do the work. We're looking for an experienced Scrum Master to play a vital role in this transformation to ensure that all the ceremonies are performed and to educate the team in Scrum, Kanban and SAFe, ensuring that the agreed agile process is being followed.
They also help remove impediments and foster an environment for high-performing team dynamics, continuous flow, and relentless improvement.
Agile methodology has been chosen and driven globally is based on the SAFe framework so experience in this area is preferred.
An effective Scrum Master is a team-based servant leader who:
- Exhibits Lean-Agile leadership – Exhibits the behaviours of a Lean Agile Leader with a Lean-Agile mindset.
- Helps the team embrace core values and principles.
- Supports the team rules – The rules of an Agile Team are lightweight, but they are rules nonetheless, and the Scrum Master is responsible for reinforcing them. These may include the rules of Scrum, Built-In Quality practices from Extreme Programming (XP), Work in Process (WIP) limits from Kanban, and any other process rules the team has agreed.
- Facilitates the team’s progress toward team goals – The Scrum Master is trained as a team facilitator and is continuously engaged in challenging the old norms of development to improve performance in the areas of quality, predictability, flow, and velocity. They help the team focus on creating increments of value each iteration and achieving daily and Iteration goals in the context of the current program increment objectives.
- Leads team efforts in relentless improvement – Helps the team improve and take responsibility for their actions; facilitates the team retrospective. Teaches problem-solving techniques and helps the team become better problem-solvers for themselves.
- Facilitates events – Facilitates team events, including (where applicable) the Daily Stand-up, Iteration Planning, Iteration Review, and Iteration Retrospective ensures they are productive and kept within the time box.
- Supports the Product Owner – The Scrum Master helps the Product Owner in their efforts to manage the backlog and guide the team while facilitating a healthy team dynamic with respect to priorities and scope.
- Facilitates the removal of impediments – Many blocking issues will be beyond the team’s authority or may require support from other teams. The Scrum Master supports the team in addressing and eliminating these issues to improve the likelihood of achieving the objectives of the Iteration.
- Promotes quality practices – Provides guidance to assist the teams in constantly improving the quality of their deliverables and meeting the Definition of Done (DoD). The Scrum Master helps foster the culture of technical discipline and craftsmanship that is the hallmark of effective agile teams.
- Builds a high-performing team – Focuses on ever-improving team dynamics and performance, and coaches the team in self-management.
- Helps the team resolve interpersonal conflicts and challenges, and identify opportunities for growth.
- Escalates people problems to management where necessary, but only after internal team processes have failed to resolve the issue; helps individuals.
- Responsibilities on the train – The Scrum Master helps coordinate inter-team cooperation and helps the team operate well on the train.
- Coordinates with other teams – The Scrum Master supports the team’s efforts to continuously improve communications and relationships with other teams.
- They frequently represent the team in the Scrum of Scrums (SoS), helping the team remain aware of opportunities to engage and improve program effectiveness.
- It is important to note, however, that the responsibility for inter-team coordination cannot be delegated entirely to the Scrum Master; every team member shares responsibility in that regard.
- Supports Agile adoption – The Scrum Master supports the overall adoption of agile across the enterprise by coaching stakeholders and other non-agile teams on effective interactions with agile teams.
- Enables organizational effectiveness – The Scrum Master works with other Scrum Masters and stakeholders to help the team contribute towards improving the overall development value stream.
- Facilitates preparation and readiness for ART events – Assists the team in preparation for ART activities, including PI planning, System Demos, and the Inspect and Adapt.
- Supports estimating – Guides the team in establishing relative estimates and helps the team understand how to estimate Features and Capabilities.
- This role requires excellent communication skills
- Patience and the ability to deal with all levels of experience.
- You must be a driven person who is looking for success
- At least 5 years as a Scrum Master
- Experience in the financial services industry
- Hands-on experience in a transformation from waterfall environment to a more agile company.
- Experience working as part of a team and learning culture
- Experience using the Waterfall/Agile methodologies
- Certification in an agile methodology
- Certification as a Scrum Master in the SAFe methodology (SSM)
- Degree qualified in IT or related discipline